The "Manager's Special" section in the cold case at Smith's has included some really great bargains lately. For example, last week I got a container of pitted mixed Greek olives for about $2. They weren't even that close to the expiration date. I expect that instead they are discontinued products. Anyway, rather than let Z eat them all I made a roasted garlic and olive tapenade and we ate it on no-knead crusty bread.
Roasted Garlic and Olive Tapenade
1. Roast a head of garlic (if you are doing 1 you might as well do 2 and refrigerate for later. This is a good thing to think about doing anytime your oven is on for another purpose as long as the other purpose will not be wrecked by the lovely odor of roasting garlic. For example, I did not do this while baking a mocha cheesecake yesterday, but I would while baking potatoes.)
1a. Here's how you roast garlic. Take an entire bulb. Remove the outer papery stuff, but keep the bulb intact. Slice off the tops of the cloves so that you can see the garlic inside the individual paper sleeves. Place on a piece of Al foil and drizzle on some olive oil (keeps it moist). Wrap up the foil into a packet. Place on the rack in your oven at about 300+F for at least 30 min or until you remember to take it out. Temperature and time can be variable depending on what other thing you are cooking.
2. Squeeze out the roasted garlic cloves, as many as you like - I use at least 1 bulb, from their individual papers just like you should squeeze toothpaste from a tube - bottom up - into a food processor or onto a cutting board/mat. Traditionalists would use a mortar and pestle, but mine is way to small for a task like tapenade.
3. Drain about 8 ounces of pitted olives and add to the food processor work bowl or cutting board. Either process to a coarse paste or chop away to a coarse paste. No need to add salt, but a little crushed red pepper gives some nice heat to it.
4. Chill for at least an hour if you can wait that long to let the flavors meld a bit and serve on bread or crackers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment