Tuesday, March 24, 2009

An Exciting Afternoon and Breakfast for Dinner

I had the funny experience today of being evacuated from my office at the U thanks to a gas leak. The strangest part is that my home is closer to the site of the leak than my office, so I had to transit the evacuation zone to get home. I planned on taking the bus and boarded one, but they were on completely unknown detour. Seriously, the driver said that her instructions were to stay off the radio and get the bus downtown. That is not where I wanted to go, and when she turned south out of Research Park, I bailed out and started walking. Good physical activity for me - thank goodness it is all downhill - and in case you are wondering, even a pregnant lady can walk from the Ortho Center back to our house in about 1/2 hour even taking a crazy wide route through main campus because the straight route was blocked. I'm also glad that I had my hat as it started to snow when I walked past the Huntsman Center. BTW, I could still smell gas in the air even though the break had happened more than 2 hours previously. It apparently took them a long time to get the lines capped off! At one point the power was out at our house, but by the time I got home it was back.

Our usual Tuesday evening has us at the gym and Z at Team Tots, the fabulous and FREE childcare available for student parents on Tuesday and Thursday evenings while they exercise. But all of campus is closed until tomorrow, so instead J went to a meeting of the Salt Lake Climbers Alliance. He has just accepted some officer position (I forget which).

I don't know if this happens in your house, but I like breakfast for dinner, especially pancakes or waffles. J not so much. He'll eat eggs for dinner, but waffles is across some line. So I took advantage and made waffles for dinner while he went to his meeting! Not even special waffles. Just regular old Bisquick waffles - I know I know you are shocked that I even have Bisquick in the house. It's really for camping, but hey I like it sometimes!!

3 comments:

bearing said...

We had breakfast for dinner yesterday -- chilaquiles though (scrambled eggs with salsa and tortilla chips and refried beans all mooshed together). So not, probably, across that invisible line.

Christie said...

Funny.. Russ is not into breakfast for dinner either, so it tends to happen if he's not around as well. He's ok with it if there is sufficient "breakfast meat" involved. I still want to try your "best" waffle recipe. Maybe this weekend.

Lisa R.D. said...

I thought about you when I saw on the news that they had evacuated people from the U. It sounds like high adventure was involved to get home! We love breakfast for dinner, but rarely do it. Maybe tonight.