Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Sunday of efficiency

I got some eggplants yesterday at the store. They were destined for baba ghanouj and required roasting. The plan was to have black bean and sweet potato tacos for dinner. Usually I steam the sweet potatoes after cutting them in relatively small chunks. But, since I was operating the oven for the eggplants anyway, I baked the sweet potatoes, roasted some garlic, and roasted some beets at the same time. Not all in the same pan! The potatoes weren't done when everything else was, so I turned down the oven and made cookies.

In summary, here's what I cooked yesterday afternoon: cabbage and cilantro slaw with lime juice dressing (for the tacos); baked sweet potatoes (there was enough for me to set aside 1 cup of baked sweet potato for a later batch of sweet potato biscuits); black bean and sweet potato taco filling (Previously blogged. The beans were from the freezer, I had cooked them from dry in the slow cooker a few weeks ago and froze them in approximately 2 cup batches. We grew them in the garden last year), mocha chocolate chip cookies, roasted eggplant which became baba ghanouj, roasted garlic, roasted beets, and I mixed up a batch of no knead crusty bread that J is in charge of baking this morning. That way we can have fresh bread, super sharp Irish cheddar (thanks, for making it affordable, Costco!), Z's favorite brown olives (kalamata - thanks, for making them affordable, Costco!), Cameo apples, and baba ghanouj for dinner on Monday.

I have cut down my trips to the grocery lately because we are getting milk delivery from Winder Farms. (Anybody out there in the greater SLC area (between Ogden and Vegas) interested in a referral, let me know - both parties can get a $30 credit.) Yesterday I only bought vegetables and fruit at Smith's. I am trying to free up some space in the freezer for some pre-made meals for the peri-partum period and for next summer's garden bounty!

We worked in the garden on Saturday wearing t-shirts and pants. It is presently snowing. Definitely spring!

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Check you out... I feel good if I cook one meal for my family in a day :). I love that you were organized enough to bake all of those things at once!

Christy P. said...

I'll confess - Z was watching Sesame Street on TiVo for an hour of that time!