Here are the steps:
1) Put away all fruit in the fridge or eat it.
2) Take a plastic bottle, and cut it into 2 pieces at about 1/3 of the way down from the top. ** if you find that your bottle is too tough for scissors, heat up a long paper clip with a lighter and melt a hole into which you can insert the scissors. Careful of your fingers! That paperclip will be HOT.
3) Insert some bait into the part that used to be the base - we used a chunk of peach.
4) Invert the part that was formerly the top and insert it into the base to make an inverted funnel.
5) Tape the 2 pieces together.
6) Invert the whole thing and set it onto something that will raise it up off the counter. I used 2 chopsticks on a plate (to catch the drips).
7) Here's a key thing - you just throw the trap away. As soon as you turn it over, the fruit flies will fly out. Apparently they like to fly up but not down, and this is the characteristic that makes them trapped. So in the morning, you bag the entire thing and put it in the trash (outside). I admit I didn't recycle this bottle, but I do endorse this method.
1 comment:
Unfortunately for us, we have a fruit fly problem too... fortunately, you posted this most helpful tutorial on how to get rid of them. We'll be trying this tomorrow (or as soon as I can drink all of the lemonade to get an empty plastic bottle). Thanks!
Post a Comment