Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The end and the beginning

Here it is, Election Day. J and I went to vote this morning and were voters #36 and #37 at our polling station at about 7:35AM. It opened at 7, so they were averaging a nice throughput of 1 voter per minute. There were about 8 Diebold voting machines, and our ballot is pretty long and includes a bunch of judicial questions, 3 Constitutional amendments, 2 bond propositions in addition to the main events. It was pouring rain, and someone had thoughtfully erected two little tents to shelter at least 200 square feet of people waiting in line, since the waiting would occur outside, but we didn't wait more than about 5 minutes. No book needed. This is in contrast to our early voting site at the University Union where the lines were more than 1 hour each time we checked.

In Utah, we don't feel the election much, especially compared to what my family experiences in Ohio. I saw a couple of campaign commercials, but only during debates and half I couldn't hear because I was at the gym without headphones. There are a lot of yard signs in my part of town, and they are consistent. If the east side of SLC was a good sample of the state Obama would definitely win, but it's probably not.

When we were in Southern Utah recently visiting the Capitol Reef area I took note of the electioneering in the small towns. I saw Obama signs in places as rural as Boulder (population = 180, 1 gas station), Escalante (population = 818), and Loa (population=525), Utah as well as in the rapidly growing city of St George, Utah. We saw a total of zero McCain-Palin signs. Most of the signage in the rural areas was for local school board or county offices.

Anyway, here we go...

2 comments:

Lisa R.D. said...

Interesting to hear how different things are in various parts of Utah... in my neck of the woods, I think I'm one of the very few supporters of Obama. I'm heading to the polls right now...

Christy P. said...

I do know at least one other Obama supporter in Utah county, so you are not entirely alone!