You may or may not know that I'm a sci-fi (and techno-thriller) junkie.
I'm in the midst of Anathem, the latest from Neal Stephenson. Under his influence I nearly geeked out in the previous post by writing something about how Z applied the Steelyard to her givens and reached the beer conclusion. Then I edited it back to English.
For those of you with time on your hands or the desire to make such time. I highly enjoyed some of his other works: Cryptonomicon, and the volumes that comprise The Baroque Cycle.
Paperbacks won't hurt your shoulder as much if you need to carry them around in your handbag. The fact that I am currently toting the hardback of Anathem (935 pages) suggests that I need to carry a smaller bag in which such a book would not fit.
Kudos go to Erin for alerting me to the publication of this book and the Salt Lake City Library for ordering more than one copy which shortened my wait considerably.
Oh yeah, in my line of work, we actually use DAGs (Directed Acyclic Graphs) when considering causality between exposures and outcomes.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If I recall correctly, I committed the perhaps unpardonable sin of recommending Cryptonomicon to you immediately before your wedding/honeymoon trip.
It had been a long time since I rec'd a book to you, but I distinctly remember thinking several times as I read it for the first time "Must tell Christy about this one."
Actually it was useful to have a paperback to carry around and work on while getting my hair done for the wedding.
I didn't know you were a Neal S fan. I'm also reading Anathem right now, except when I traval 'cause it's too big for my briefcase on a plane.
Post a Comment