I'm on an Italian kick this week.
Wednesday evening I felt like eating a pepperoni calzone dripping in red sauce. Instead I made this:
Spinach & Ricotta Calzones
This was enough for J and me to have dinner and me to have lunch the next day. Z elected to eat peanut butter and jelly in addition to nibbling on mine.
oven 400F with a pizza stone
filling:
15 ounces of ricotta cheese
1/2 bunch raw spinach, cut into small pieces
1/2 a small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/8-1/4 pound grated mozzarella
few grinds of black pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes
Mix filling together and spread on 1/2 of a stretched out pizza crust.
Fold the crust over and pinch edges to make an approximate half moon.
Cut some steam vents in the top.
Bake ~20 minutes on a pizza stone. You know it is done when the crust is crusty and you can see the filling bubbling through the steam vents.
Serve with warmed up red sauce (could even be a jar of store bought spaghetti sauce).
* Tip for those in SLC (or possibly near a Whole Foods) - if you neglected to make the pizza crust ahead, you can get a lump of already risen and ready to go whole wheat pizza dough at Whole Paycheck (Whole Foods) for $2. On this day, I judged that to be a good value. The dough had very well developed gluten (translation, when I stretched it, it sprang back. It was almost like a cartoon, when I turned my back on my disc of dough, I had a ball again. So I enlisted help. I stretched the dough gradually and had J dump on the filling. When weighted it didn't spring back, and one lump of dough was sufficient for this recipe.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That sounds delicious!! Calzones are a favorite at our house, stuffed with all sorts of veggies. I will have to try this version!
Post a Comment