Saturday, October 4, 2008

What to do with zucchini - part 3

Zucchini Cheese Squares (from The Garden-Fresh Vegetable Cookbook by Andrea Chesman)

Serves 6-8

3 cups grated zucchini
2 t salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1 onion, diced
2 cups grated cheddar
2 t fresh thyme leaves (I tend to use dry)
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup canola oil
3 large eggs, beaten

1) Combine zucchini and salt in a colander and toss to mix. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess water.
2) Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 7X11 baking dish.
3) Stir together flour and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add onion, zucchini, cheese, thyme, and pepper. Mix well with a fork, breaking up any clumps of zucchini. Whisk together the oil and eggs. Add the liquid to the rest and mix well. Spread evenly in the baking dish.
4) Bake about 35 minutes, until golden.
5) Let cool for at least 5 minutes so it can set up before cutting into squares.

Can be served warm or at room temperature. Travels well for packed lunches or to a potluck.

This tastes sort of like Thanksgiving stuffing that you eat using your hands. It is surprisingly good.

1 comment:

eliasinlondon said...

I'm so jealous of you having all these garden overload issues. How lucky you are, really. I miss feeling the overwhelmedness of tomatoes or zucchini galore! I should print out all your ideas for another year (09? 10?).