Saturday, October 4, 2008

What to do with zucchini - part 1

Zucchini-Crusted Pizza (from The New Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen)

Serves 4-6 (they must mean as a side dish - 2 of us (adults) demolish this as a one-dish dinner)

2 cups packed grated zucchini
2 eggs beaten (can leave out the yolks if you want)
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan
optional: pinches of herbs
2 T of olive oil

1) Preheat oven to 400F. Oil and flour a 10 inch pie plate (I did this last time on a cookie sheet with a Silpat - it worked great!).
2) Combine zucchini, eggs, flour, mozzarella, parmesan, herbs, and 1T olive oil in a bowl and mix well.
3) Spread into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. When it has cooled for about 10 minutes, use a spatula to loosen the crust from the pan so it won't break later (the Silpat makes this step obsolete).
4) Top with pizza toppings and bake at 400F until heated through.

The last time I made this, I used pesto as the sauce and then added fresh mozzarella and tomatoes. I segregated the tomatoes in quadrants such that I had 1/4 with yellow lemon boys, 1/4 with green zebra and the remaining 1/2 with speckled romas (red). I went to take a photo and the camera battery was dead. We elected not to wait for the recharge to eat our dinner.

This recipe is a nice excuse to drag out the grating attachment for your food processor. Put the block of mozzarella in the freezer for a few minutes. Grate the zucchini in the food processor and remove it to a bowl. Then grate the cold mozzarella in the food processor. Easy peasy.

No comments: