Thursday, June 19, 2008

Black Beans

This is one of the successful dinner items I made from the Whole Foods Market Cookbook. Enjoyed by all adults, not so much by the toddler.

Havana Black Beans

1 T olive oil
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic (regular readers will know that I used way more than 1 clove here - I'd start with 3)
1 t cumin
1 t dried thyme or 1T fresh
2 bay leavesm (This may be one of the errors - book never reminds you to take them out)
1 t canned chipotles, minced with the adobo sauce they came in (This is not spicy enough for us, next time I would use at least 2-3 chipotles with the sauce that clings to them. We could barely taste the chipotle-ness in the final dish.)

2 15 ounce cans of black beans or equivalent cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk (note, a can of coconut milk is more like 15 ounces, may want to cut back on water if you use the whole can of coconut milk. I did because what else was I going to do with a few ounces of coconut milk?)
1 t lime juice (this is not enough if you want to taste the lime. For extra limey goodness, use the zest, too)
salt to taste (even in our low-salt household, this needed salt)
2 scallions, chopped, white and green
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

1. Chop everything that needs chopping.
2. Cook the onions in the oil for about 3 min.
3. Add the garlic and peppers and cook for about another 2 min.
4. Add spices.
5. Add beans, water, coconut milk - simmer 10-15 min.
5.5. Remove the bay leaves!
6. Add lime juice and salt.
7. Serve with the scallions and cilantro atop.

As prepared this is vegan. It's extra yummy with sour cream and/or cheese.

No comments: