Wednesday, March 19, 2008

More about bread


I have now tried The Bread with two different mix-ins, Kalamata olives, and fresh rosemary. We ate the olive bread with hummus, and we ate the rosemary bread with a roast chicken (roasted with rosemary also!). Both were resounding successes.

May I suggest that you cut back on the salt a little if you are mixing in salty olives.

8 comments:

Ruth said...

Awesome! I will have to try that. At what stage did you mix the olives in?

Christy P. said...

I mixed the olives in (chopped) right at the beginning. Same with the rosemary.

bearing said...

Tell me Christy, what kind of pan or baking dish are you using?

Most of the recipes I see call for a ceramic or cast iron pot with lid. I don't own one (except the camping dutch oven which I don't want to dig out of the attic).

Christy P. said...

I have a Le Creuset enameled French oven. (Le Creuset Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French Oven - according to Amazon) It was a garage sale find. That works best. On Sunday I tried it in a hard anodized soup pot (Calphalon Commercial Hard-Anodized 7-Quart Chef's Casserole with Lid - according to Amazon). It worked ok, but not as well. I have read that some people use large Corningware casserole dishes with success. The temp is pretty high for other ceramics, so I would be wary of that.

bearing said...

Aaaah. I have had my eye on a Le Creuset French oven for a couple of years now. It's expensive when new! I have been trying to decide whether to get one. If I did it would be the first new kitchen gadget acquired in several years (not counting replacements for broken/worn out things). Hmmm!

Somehow I have managed never to acquire a large ceramic casserole with lid. Go figure.

Christie said...

You'll be happy to know that my brother clicked on your site from mine and has been making this bread weekly.. He uses a lodge cast iron dutch oven. I still haven't done it myself, but its in the plans this week while the weather is still cool.

robmba said...

I (Christie's brother) highly recommend digging the dutch oven out of the attic, even if this is the only recipe you ever make using it - it will be worth it - of course, my belief is that if you can't fetch your cast iron in under a minute to cook with, inside or out, you're not cooking with them enough.

Christy P. said...

I'm loving the action on this post! Welcome, Rob - the first commenter that I don't know directly!

I know, it's barely fair, but I will be taking this bread to a potluck this weekend. Barely fair because the result is so much more than the effort. :-)