This fall we bought part of a cow. About 1/12 to be exact. We split a quarter-cow with two other families. I think that next year we will get more. It's from a family farm in Idaho. Pasture-raised, and I know that the ground beef is from only 1 cow. This has been the impetus for our rediscovery of the hamburger. Previously we made lamb burgers (with lamb from the same farm actually), and those are great, too.
So here it is: burger and fries in the middle of winter. I actually pan-fried them because there is a lot of snow on the deck, and when it is this cold the grill timing is unpredictable. The only seasoning for the meat was a couple of cloves of garlic that I sauteed in olive oil and then mixed into the meat with some cracked pepper. We dressed the burgers with slices of red onion and blue cheese. Jeff added ketchup, but I didn't. On the side, waffle fries (the frozen kind that you bake - Alexia brand, surprisingly, no I will say dangerously, good - thanks, Costco!) and a small green salad with roasted red peppers from a jar, pickled asparagus from a jar, fresh mozzarella chunks and balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
2 comments:
That's funny- We just got part of a cow too from my Aunt who is from Montana- that is what prompted me to break down and finally purchase a freezer. I love a good homemade burger. Will have to try the costco fries..
We got a quarter grassfed cow last March and still haven't finished it.
In the fall we bought half-a-hog, humanely and hormone free raised (I'm not sure exactly what they feed the hogs). I mention this only because we did burgers on Sunday, too, only we did grill them, even here in Minnesota! And they were pork sausage burgers, not cow. It's my favorite way to eat sausage: grilled on a bun, with yellow mustard, pickles, and onion.
For buns we used Thomas's 100% Whole Wheat Mini Bagel Breads (square, dairy free as we had an allergic friend visiting). I have given up on purchased hamburger buns as they are always too big for our burgers and are rarely whole wheat. Usually I like ww English muffins, but the ones we can get all contain whey. Yeah, they all have HF corn syrup too, but it's a tradeoff we have to make to eat right-sized 100% whole wheat. (Assuming I don't bake them myself, which is a very good assumption.)
Post a Comment