I make this nearly every day in the summer when I can pick a pound of green beans from the garden every day. In terms of quantity - J and I can easily eat a pound of these between us in one meal. Leftovers are rare.
Oven to 450F. Trim and prep beans. It is fun to eat them with your fingers, so don't bother cutting to bite size - just take off flowers and bad spots. The thin pointy end will get really crispy, so you can take it off, but not required. If you washed the beans (good food safety practice) then spin them mostly dry in the salad spinner. Put beans in a pile on an ungreased baking sheet. Pour on about 1T olive oil and toss to coat (squish around with your fingers). Once oven is preheated, put beans in and roast for about 15 min. Stir halfway through. They will look slightly black and wrinkly when done. Sprinkle with salt or a salt+herb mixture appropriate to the rest of your meal. Enjoy hot or cold as a side dish or added to a salad. You can do the same thing with asparagus. Both are really lovely just like this, or you can add a dressing of lemon juice and olive oil mixed 1:3. That's really nice on the asparagus - I never bothered to dress the beans. I learned this from The Garden Fresh Vegetable Cookbook.
The problem with this recipe is that when beans are plentiful it is so stinking hot that you don't want to use the oven. No problem - you can do this on the grill! Have your meat grilling on one side and put the beans in a foil pie plate (no need to wreck a good one) on the other side. You need to check more often since you may not have good heat control.
But what about winter? Well, I am pleased to report that you can make a reasonable facsimile in January by starting with frozen green beans. Defrost in microwave, spin, and then pat dry with a towel. They will likely take longer than 15 min because they will be wetter than really fresh beans, but hey, it is January, and I don't mind heating up the house with the oven!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Is there a specific variety of beans that you grow in your garden? I want to grow beans this year. I know its January, but dreaming about my garden now helps me get through the cold :-)
Made these last night and added to a version of the $11 salad. Thanks for all the tips!
Post a Comment