Sunday, January 27, 2008

Dish for a potluck - vegetarian, gluten-free



We were invited to a potluck last night at a home with a more complicated eating scheme than ours - he's no meat and she's no wheat - what's an omnivore to do? Make a salad.

Mixed greens, the nice organic ones in a box from Costco, 1/2 of a red pepper, 1/2 of a can of sliced pickled beets, 1# of roasted green beans, carrot shaved with a vegetable peeler, and goat cheese. I used the Macedonian Salad dressing from the earlier post.

3 comments:

Ruth said...

Sounds tasty! David is opposed to beets, but I love them. In the summer, I buy them from the farmer's market and eat them as a snack. I do have an awesome recipe for what David and I call "beet hummus" that we both like. As a bonus, it's a shocking magenta color that's very pleasing.

Christy P. said...

I never used to be into beets until my friend Jen served up a roasted beet salad. It was roasted beets, sliced with goat cheese and a little onion with a lemon-olive oil dressing and some salt. That was my incentive to learn about beets. I discovered that if you wash the dirt off, wrap in foil and roast, then the skins come right off, and they are much easier to handle. This time of year I just have the pickled kind in a can because we ate through our garden stash.

Ruth said...

I just wash them and throw them in a small pot of cold water and bring it to a boil (like you would with boiling whole potatoes). They only take 20 minutes or so, depending on the size, and the skins pretty much slide off with that method, too.