Friday, November 12, 2010

Babywearing and traveling - update!

I have been a big proponent of babywearing as a way to make traveling easier. Recent changes in TSA policy have thrown a wrench in my travel style.

You can no longer wear a baby in a sling through security. Sigh. Here's the TSA fact sheet. And a quote (emphasis mine):
"All child-related equipment that will fit through the X-ray machine must go through the X-ray machine. Examples include: strollers, umbrella-strollers, baby carriers, car and booster seats, backpacks, and baby slings."

New routine
1. Show ID and boarding pass to TSA gatekeeper.
2. Approach screening area. Take a bin.
3. Remove laptop from carry on bag and place in bin. *Nothing can be placed atop the laptop in the bin. I can use only 1 bin because I carry a mini-laptop.
4. Remove clear 1 quart zip top bag from carry on bag and place in bin.
5. Remove (slip on) shoes and place in bin. *Baby shoes must also be removed!
6. Remove baby. If he can stand, stand him up between you and the belt. If not, you might want to have an extra bin handy to contain the baby - do not put the bin through the x ray!
7. Remove sling and put it in your carry on bag, in another bin, or on the belt - consideration is whether or not straps and buckles might become caught in the belt.
8. Walk through metal detector carrying baby - or have baby walk in front of you. I made Q walk on principle.
9. Wait for your stuff to pass through the x ray.
10. Return baby to a safe spot while you retrieve and don your sling.
11. Return baby to sling.
12. Replace your shoes.
13. Replace laptop and 1 quart zip top bag into your carry on bag.
14. Proceed with your day.

TSA website specifies that you may not ask TSA personnel to assist with your baby. In my experience, kind male officers offered to help which I politely declined.

Not making traveling easier for families.

In SLC the other day, I declined to remove Q and experienced the new enhanced pat-down search. If you are wondering how that was, let me tell you that following the pat-down I am fairly certain not to have breast cancer.

6 comments:

bearing said...

To my recollection, I have never been allowed to carry a baby in a sling through airport security. MSP has always made me take it off.

Christy P. said...

Previous TSA regs did not specify that baby had to be removed.
In the un-countable times I have traveled with babies I have only had to remove from a sling ONCE.
It was when I made the rookie mistake of wearing my Maya Wrap ring sling which has too much metal and sets off the detector. Ergo, wraps, and Beco have always been ok. Haven't flown through MSP though. Have flown through: SLC, DEN, SAN, SEA, ORD, MDW, BWI, REA, FTL, ATL, DAY, CMH, IND, CLE, BOS, Atlantic City, (MSY) New Orleans, PHL, and I may have missed some.

Kim said...

Yep, I've always had to remove baby too. I was surprised at first and frustrated by the fact the people can wear shawls and my sling was basically a shawl. Now I just plan on using a sling that is easy to put on and take off.

p.s. Most of my travel has been through MSP as well.

Christy P. said...

Clearly it is security by confusion.

I have always had to remove cardigans, even when I could retain the baby atop the cardigan. Have actually removed the sweater while wearing baby!

Lisa R.D. said...

I felt so frustrated the last time I flew with a baby... I was on my own and could have used several assistants to fold the stroller, remove baby from sling, take off shoes, pull out liquids, etc. I loved your commentary though... and I'm glad that you probably don't have breast cancer.

Kim said...

For the record, the Cancun airport security thought it was strange that I would even consider taking off my baby sling. "No, no, you an baby go together." Guess they didn't see us as a threat to security. They also pointed me to the front of the line when they saw I was traveling with kids. Refreshing.