Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Fish tacos at home

I'm not one for purchasing a lot of prepared food, but I make exception for food that requires frying, particularly deep frying. Why? I don't have a vent hood in the kitchen. I even cook bacon in the oven. I mention this because it is relevant for fish sticks.

Fish sticks make the base for quite good fish tacos. Spend the extra buck or two for a good brand and not the kind that is made of minced fish. Bake them up and serve in corn tortillas with condiments such as cilantro, grated cheese, guacamole, and/or sliced avocado, salsa, pickled jalapenos, sour cream, lime wedges, and our favorite - cabbage slaw. Cabbage slaw is easy, too. Shredded cabbage mixed up with cilantro, some red onion, lime juice and salt to taste.

Everybody's happy.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I usaually just bake some fish with cumin and a little olive oil. But I will have to try this sometime when I am in a crunch!

bearing said...

Oh, hey, speaking of salmon patties as in the (later) post above, this is another thing you can do with them. A nice use for the leftovers. If you have any that is. They do freeze nicely, too.

Christie said...

I haven't eaten fish sticks in years.. but I think I will put this on my menu for the week. I love a quick, yet tasty fix. Any favorite brand of fish sticks or just not 'minced fish'?