Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eating the sub-continent: part 2

Raita, Rice, and Curry

With the goal of cooling the potentially warm curry, I made simple raita - inspired by this recipe from the recent issue of bon appetit magazine.

It started with about 3/4 of a 1qt container of plain yogurt. I drained it in a towel lined strainer for a couple of hours and then mixed in a peeled, chopped cucumber, 1t or so of salt, and a handful of chopped cilantro. That's it.

I cooked 2 cups of basmati rice in the rice cooker and then dumped in about a cup of frozen peas at the end of the cooking time and let the heat from the rice defrost and heat the peas.

The curry began with leftover cooked veggies - carrots, celery, onion, and broccoli stems (we ate the florets the other day and I saved the stems for this). I put about 2 cups of cooked vegetables in a saucier with a couple of tablespoons of oil and 1 T of madras curry powder and stirred in about 2 peeled, chopped potatoes over medium heat until everything was nicely coated with spices. Then I added about a cup of red lentils and 3 cups of chicken broth and let everything simmer for a while until the lentils and potatoes were cooked. That was the curry. I used the stick blender to smooth it out a bit. I followed the instructions about how much curry powder to use, but we could have had it hotter.

BTW - I made another small pot of soup without the spices but with everything else for Q. He is now 9 months old, has one partial tooth and loves soup. I blended his with the stick blender before blending the one with spice.

2 comments:

bearing said...

There is a Penzeys Spices shop in Uptown Mpls, and I keep thinking one of these days I'm going to go in and buy five different curry powders for the hell of it. But I keep not doing it.

I was musing the other day and thinking: Chili is sort of the all-American curry, isn't it? Lots of different kinds, regional variations, but as far as I know it's an American-born style, correct? And yet the spice type seems right at home in the family of curries. Do you agree?

Christy P. said...

I bought the madras curry powder at the quickie-mart down the street that is also an Indian grocery. They had many varieties and brands.

I do think that American chili is our answer to a regionally variable stew-like dish. Compare to gumbo, goulash, pad thai etc -- each person may have her own recipe for chili, but it is instantly recognizable as chili. Spiciness helps potentially disparate flavors combined because they all fall into the category of leftovers...