Monday, December 29, 2008

Grilling and Braising on Christmas Day

Holiday main dish food tradition does not run deep in my family. We are just as likely to have homemade Mongolian Beef (mom took a Chinese cooking class at the community college when we lived in Iowa) or manicotti for a holiday dinner as we are to have a roast beef or turkey + ham + lasagna.

This year, Mom and I went to Dot's Market in Bellbrook, Ohio to buy some holiday meat. Not only do they tend to have great prices on high-quality meat, but they also have honest to goodness butchers who will cut it for you. It's not a great place to buy produce, but it is the place to go for meat. Possibly for eggs as well - as we waited for our sirloin roast to be cut into steaks I saw a (presumably) Mennonite farmer carting in crates of fresh eggs ($3.99/dozen). They were labeled organic, but not with the USDA seal which makes me think that they are among the many producers who shun the expensive certification process while possibly adhering to higher standards.

In addition to steak for the grill, we decided to get some pork ribs. I don't love pork, but my husband does, and ribs would be an exceptional treat for him. We got 2 big slabs.

Many a fine cut of meat has been ruined with poor preparation, so for our ribs, I turned directly to the internet. Googling 'alton brown baby back' I found the method I had used successfully before. Here's the link. Basically you rub the meat with a dry spice mixture then braise it in a foil packet in the oven at low temperature (250F) for 3 hours before finishing on the grill or in the broiler to caramelize the sauce.

Uncle Jim was in charge of the grilling, and he asked "How did you prepare these? When I tried to put them on the grill they were so tender they fell apart."

Oh, we did have some more 'traditional' fare, twice-baked potatoes, as well as the more picnic-like deviled eggs and fruit salad.

A yummy dinner was had by all.

No comments: