On a related note, there was a letter to the editor in The Nation a few weeks/months ago (I lose time) saying something about "you self-righteous people driving your Prii to the store and loading up your organic cotton canvas or string bags with organic produce in PLASTIC BAGS - that's so hypocritical". It struck a chord, so my latest challenge is to limit acquisition of even the produce bags by re-using ones I already have and recycling the net bags that things like onions and clementines come in for later grocery trips.
4 comments:
Oh goodness, I just wrote the line about the Prius vs. the city bus on my own blog before reading this. Too funny. I wasn't thinking about your Prius.
Oh, and here in Minneapolis we're required to sort our recycling into paper bags. So I wind up using almost all the paper bags I get at the store. I have a friend in a nearby suburb with the same requirement, a more conscientious recycler/reuser/general frugal person than I, who is exceedingly annoyed by this as she would never need to get a single disposable bag from the grocery store except that the recycling company requires her to.
It was your blog that reminded me of the letter in The Nation...the world turns, but not too far! Writing that sentence gave me a flashback to Physics II with Mr. Kingrey (who is about to retire again) and the concept of precession. Fascinating how connections happen in the brain.
BTW - that is a clever means for the recycling company to cost-transfer to the consumer and to society at large.
Oh, I don't just mean that it has to be sorted. I mean that it has to be sorted *in paper bags.* It's not good enough to put, say, one whole bin full of aluminum cans. They have to be contained in bags.
Post a Comment