Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Eggs

I have started buying eggs directly from a farmer, and I can report that they are different from store-bought eggs in good ways. 1) variety of shell colors in each carton 2) the farmers will accept last week's carton for re-use next week 3) vibrantly yellow-orange yolks 4) I know that the chickens aren't being raised in a factory 5) the farmer gets to keep all of the $$ (edited to add, they do likely have to pay income taxes. Thanks to Erin for reminding me to be more precise. I should have said that the farmer gets to keep a larger portion of the amount that the consumer pays than when the consumer pays the store. In this case it is also a larger amount of money, since I used to buy eggs at Costco for $1.89 for 18. They were local, but factory farmed, I'm sure to meet the Costco sized demand).

The carbonara pasta I made the other day was actually yellow instead of white-ish. The flavor is more intense, so this is not going to help Z like eggs, but that means more for the grown-ups!

4 comments:

bearing said...

Re #5, have you managed to find a farmer who is not subject to income taxes? ;-)

Christie said...

Where do you buy them from? Do you actually go to the farm or is it through your CSA? Susan used to have chickens and bring in free eggs to work-- did you ever benefit from that? I agree that there is certainly a difference..

qfam said...

That is fantastic. We're really excited about the CSA we just joined but sad that they don't have eggs. Hopefully we'll find a direct source up here in Rose City. BTW, little Q is fickle about eggs, but soft-boiled and especially fried (in healthy oils, of course--this is his chef dada we're talking about!) are our best bets. I think he likes the yolky yolk experience. Have you tried either of those with Z? Enjoy those REAL eggs, yum!

Christy P. said...

If you check with the local Slow Food group they may be able to help with direct sourcing of farm products.

Last weekend I made an egg sandwich for J. Z saw the egg hanging out the edge of the bread and thought that it was cheese, probably because it was so yellow, and asked for some. We gave it to her, and she chewed, got a confused look then opened her mouth to let the rest fall out and wiped her tongue with her napkin!

My mom used to make what she called 'smushed eggs' when we were kids. Hard boiled then peeled and smashed with a fork while still hot. Butter, salt, and pepper completed the dish which I recall eating both out of a bowl or sometimes on toast.