Friday, July 8, 2011

Fortuitous Foraging

Yesterday afternoon I happened to open the fridge in the breakroom at work while I filled my water bottle. Not because I had the right to anything in there, not having deposited anything recently, but because I just can't help it. See fridge, open it. See if there is anything interesting and potentially available.

On this day, there was! One of our staff had planted too much romaine lettuce which is all ready to be eaten now, and there were several bags marked 'FREE! Take me!' So I grabbed some and knew what we would have for dinner.

Grown-ups had tuna salad atop lettuce. Kids ate the tuna salad straight or on crackers. A partial bag of frozen sweet potato fries was cooked and devoured with ketchup (kids) or honey and rosemary (adults).

(2 cans of tuna + 4 hard boiled eggs + pickles and mayo for a family of 4)

2 comments:

Donna Jannuzzi said...

Wow, free bags of homegrown romaine, fortuitous indeed! If you like canned tuna, you might like this recipe for tuna cakes. I make this often as an easy dinner.

Christy P. said...

Thanks for your comment, Donna! I have made something similar with salmon. Since both my kids are perfectly happy to eat tuna straight out of the can I haven't gotten very creative with it.