Thursday, May 12, 2011

Returning from a Weekend Away. What to Eat?

I'll admit it. Last weekend after we got home from the desert we ate frozen pizza (bought on special with a coupon!) and relatively limp salad greens after washing the dust from our bodies.

It strikes me that I should be able to do better. The meals away are planned, after all, why not one more that can even have the luxury of waiting for us in a fridge?

This weekend I will try an experiment. I will make up a batch of Sullivan Street Pizza Dough on Friday morning and let it ferment in the fridge for the weekend to be baked on Sunday evening. It will actually be tougher than if we were away since we will be home and giving up that much fridge space.

Adding to my 'to do' list is to come up with some reasonable make ahead or practically no-prep dinners for the re-integration phase of weekend travel.

It starts here:
1) Rico's frozen tamales + guacamole
2) Grilled cheese and soup (although we often have quesadillas on the road)
3) Sullivan Street Pizza
4) Frozen ravioli - either boiled or prepared as ravioli lasagna
5) Tuna salad + crackers (I'm ok with hard boiled eggs resting in the fridge for a few days)

and continues in the comment box!

4 comments:

bearing said...

Whew, this post showed up in my RSS reader many hours before it appeared on your blog! Blogger must have vomited or something.

Anyway, here is my solution. You already know it, because you commented on it, but there it is anyway :-)

bearing said...

Although these days I have been browning the beef and onion and spices in advance and storing it in the freezer. Cuts prep time to shorter than what it takes the pasta to boil.

Mom of four said...

Pre-made pancakes (whole wheat, individually frozen) reheat well in the microwave or toaster. Great with nutella on top.

Couscous makes a great quick side.

Brown rice precooked and frozen.

Chicken nuggets from Costco (I buy Mickey Mouse kind 'cause it's made with whole grain. Not sure if that's worth anything!!) or make your own ahead of time (didn't I see that on your blog before?)

Pot stickers and other dim sum from the Asian food market are super easy to steam in my rice cooker.

Sara said...

How did the pizza dough turn out left in the fridge? It is a great idea if it works!