"And to nurse for no longer than 12 minutes on the first side, 18 on the second. "
That's an example of the advice given in the article that prompted this post.
It profiles a lactation consultant in NYC. She makes $160-$200 an hour for helping women breastfeed.
With that kind of incentive, I wonder if she refers on to La Leche League meetings for women to get ongoing support? My guess is no, and that's too bad. Similarly, I wonder if the quoted pediatrician routinely refers moms to LLL for support at an early well-child visit or if she reflexively sends them to an LC at the first sign of issues? What about the people providing prenatal care - are they sending pregnant women to LLL to learn about breastfeeding management and getting started well?
La Leche League is for all mothers interested in breastfeeding.
Yes, challenges are addressed at meetings and mothers share their strategies for overcoming challenges, but consider this -- if the only people who attended meetings were mothers in crisis, then from whom would they learn? Mothers are welcome to attend throughout their breastfeeding seasons, contributing their thoughts and questions all the while. Experienced mothers provide a valuable resource to help and inspire the newer mothers or even other experienced mothers with inexperienced babies.
There are no fees. Any mother can attend a meeting or phone a Leader with questions. LLL is a member-supported organization, and memberships and contributions are welcomed. They help support the work of the volunteer Leaders and groups throughout the world.
Anyway, that's my rant for now.
Breastfeeding help and support are available in almost every community from caring volunteers and other mothers.
See you at a meeting ---
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Yeesh, why on earth did I read the comments on that article? I should know better.
It is my strict policy never to read comments on a news article. Especially if it is about a topic that is important to me or I am quoted. There is too much mean spiritedness in the world, and much of it hides behind screen names.
I couldn't agree more... people say things online that they wouldn't dream of saying in person (at least I HOPE they wouldn't dream of saying it in person!). Great post--thanks for the reminder of how important mother-to-mother support is for breastfeeding women!
Someone sent me this blog post too! She thought I'd really like it. I totally pulled that sentence out thinking how weird that was to tell a mom. I hope they took it out of context or something. I think it's great that she's so dedicated but LLL does even more for free that's for sure!
Post a Comment