I have made three attempts at baking with sourdough and results have been mixed.
Sourdough pancakes were enjoyed by all, but I think that they were a little tough -- maybe too much mixing and therefore over-developed gluten?
Sourdough bread was tastily sour, but it failed to rise much and was a bit flat for my liking. Also, it seriously needed salt. The taste was flat, too.
Sourdough bran muffins were good, but I didn't taste the sour at all. I used the dust from 2 boxes of Raisin Bran as the "1 cup of bran, any kind", and I used brown sugar instead of honey so that I could measure it the night before. I put in lots of extra raisins and nuts. The recipe stated that the yield was 6 plain muffins or 8 with raisins and nuts, but I must have the wrong size muffin tin because I got 15. Oh yeah, I should have greased the tins instead of using papers because the muffins stuck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My observations:
Pancakes -- possibly overdeveloped gluten, yes. Were they 100% whole wheat or did you use AP flour? Whole wheat makes tenderer pancakes in general.
Bread -- Traditional (non-yeast-added) sourdough breads are always denser than yeasted breads, and much store sourdough has additional leavener added. You have 3 choices, combine as you see fit. (1) very long rise, (2) add some baker's yeast to puff it up a bit more, (3) get used to a denser bread for sourdough purposes.
Alternately, add sourdough to your "normal" bread for a slight increase in tang and an improved texture. In my machine, my recipe has been 1 cup refreshed sourdough starter, 2 and 1/4 cups flour, 1/2 cup additional liquid, plus all the extras like an egg, salt, yeast, gluten, dry milk, sugar source in their usual quantities.
Muffins, I agree that the sour does not come through in the muffins, no idea why. I also get a greater muffin yield with the sourdough recipe, she must be using the extra-large size muffin tins. Agree on greasing the tins.
Post a Comment