Thursday, April 23, 2009

Luxurious

Spring is here in SLC, and it doesn't usually last long, so I am luxuriating in the bright sunny days with 70 degree temperatures.

That doesn't lend itself to time in the kitchen, but it does encourage garden dreaming.

We have planted seeds of spinach, golden beets (less stain potential), and peas. Sprouts have sprouted, and we anxiously check on them daily for progress.

There are flowers on the strawberries, and we need to get some bird protection installed soon lest we lose some of our precious crop to the robins. In the past we used netting, but last year I hung an old compact disc on a string to create bright flashiness, and that worked pretty well. This year I will try shiny ribbon. The plan is to implant a stake in each corner and tie twine in an X over the bed and then tie the shiny ribbon to the twine. This configuration should allow for easier harvest than the netting and provide more coverage than the single CD.

1 comment:

bearing said...

I love golden beets! My new favorite way to eat them (they are less pretty than red ones here, but don't stain and are milder-flavored) is in Mollie Katzen's fennel, beet, and orange salad.