From the National Center for Home Food Preservation
Chile Salsa II (Their name not mine)
10 cups peeled, cored, chopped tomatoes
6 cups seeded, chopped chili peppers
4 cups chopped onions
1 cup vinegar
3 t salt
1/2 t black pepper
Yield 6 to 8 pints. (I usually get 9)
Combine all ingredients in a big pot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes then hot pack into hot jars (just out of the dishwasher). Leave 1/2 in headspace. Wipe rims and apply canning lid. Process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes (at SLC elevation).
I tend to run half of the tomatoes through the food processor to make them saucy. Hand chop the other half so that there are some chunks. I don't peel the tomatoes, too much work, and if you are going to leave chunks in anyway the peel helps them be chunkier. Rough chop the onions and peppers and then you can let the food processor do the rest of the work or just hand chop it all - 4 cups of onions is really about 2 good sized onions. The recipe also says that you need to blister the skins of the peppers. I never do this, and it comes out just fine. Perhaps if you use big, tough peppers this is a problem. My garden jalapenos are not that tough.
Monday, September 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment